Rye Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned is a traditional cocktail renowned for its elegance and simplicity. The following is the original Old Fashioned cocktail recipe:
- 2 oz (60 ml) rye whiskey
- 1 sugar cube
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
- A few dashes of plain water
- Orange or lemon twist, or a cocktail cherry (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
- Place the sugar cube in an old-fashioned (rocks) glass.
- Add 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters onto the sugar cube. You can adjust the number of dashes to your taste, but 2-3 is typical.
- Add a few dashes of plain water (usually a splash) to the glass with the sugar and bitters. This is done to help dissolve the sugar.
- Muddle the sugar, bitters, and water together. You can use a muddler or the back of a spoon to gently crush and mix the ingredients until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Pour the rye whiskey over the ice.
- Stir the cocktail gently to chill and mix the ingredients. Some people prefer to stir it for about 30 seconds to a minute, while others prefer a shorter stir to maintain a stronger whiskey flavor.
- Garnish the cocktail with a twist of orange or lemon peel or a maraschino cherry. Express the citrus oils by giving the peel a twist over the glass, then drop it in.
- Serve and enjoy your classic Old Fashioned cocktail.
The Old Fashioned is a cocktail that allows for some variations in terms of whiskey choice and garnishes, but this is the basic, original recipe. It’s a timeless cocktail that highlights the flavor of the whiskey with a touch of sweetness and aromatic bitters.